The 2016 U.S. Freeskiing halfpipe, slopestyle and big air teams, led by Olympic champions David Wise (Reno, NV), Maddie Bowman (S. Lake Tahoe, CA) and Joss Christensen (Park City, UT), were officially announced today. This year’s team features a hard-hitting roster of decorated Olympians like Nick Goepper (Lawrenceburg, IN), Devin Logan (West Dover, VT) and Gus Kenworthy (Telluride, CO), along with rookie skiers ready to make their mark on the international freeskiing scene. The halfpipe and slopestyle riders begin their competition season this week at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, CO Dec. 10-13.
Seasoned Veterans: Six of the 39 athletes named to the 2016 U.S. Freeskiing team are Olympic medalists including Olympic champions David Wise, Maddie Bowman and Joss Christensen.
Upstarts: This year’s rookie team includes U.S. Revolution Tour superstars Birk Irving (Winter Park, CO) and Willie Borm (Chaska, MN).
Season Kickoff: The halfpipe and slopestyle riders begin their competition season this week at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, CO Dec. 10-13.
Jeremy Forster, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Director
We’re really excited about the continued growth and depth of the U.S. Freeskiing program. We have a great group of returning coaches, and a super-talented group of athletes on both the Pro and Rookie Teams. I’m really happy to have Pete O'Brien from Ski & Snowboard Club Vail join the U.S. Freeskiing Rookie Team Coaching Staff. With the support of The North Face our Rookie Team continues to be a huge development opportunity for the Freeskiing athletes.All the programs are coming off some great recent training with the slopestyle team in Stubai and the halfpipe team in Copper. Everyone is excited to kick off the competition season.
Skogen Sprang, U.S. Freeskiing Pro Slopestyle Coach
With the World Cup in New Zealand this year we had an early start to the season in August. We had an amazing camp in Austria a few weeks ago and everyone is feeling great going into Dew Tour this week. We are looking forward to one of the best courses of the year here in Breckenridge and ready to get out there and have some fun.
Andy Woods, U.S. Freeskiing Pro Halfpipe Coach
We are excited about our team's potential this year. We have a close-knit group that feed off of each other well, and they're charged up to start the competition season. Everyone has worked fiercely to bring unique tricks to their runs, and we're eager to see the rewards at this year's contests. Considering we have two X Games events on two different continents coupled with two domestic U.S. Grand Prixs, our veteran members will be able to show off their hard work and our young athletes will have ample opportunity to challenge them for big podium spots.
2016 U.S. Freeskiing Team Roster
Name (Birthdate; Hometown; Club; USASA series)
2016 U.S. Freeskiing Halfpipe Pro Team
- Wing Tai Barrymore (5/1/1992; Sun Valley, ID; Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation)
- Aaron Blunck (4/12/1996; Crested Butte, CO; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Lyman Currier (8/28/1994; Boulder, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Alex Ferreira (8/14/1994; Aspen, CO; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club; Aspen/Snowmass Series)
- Gus Kenworthy (8/1/1991; Telluride, CO; Southwest Colorado Series)*
- David Wise (6/30/1990; Reno, NV)*
- Torin Yater-Wallace (12/2/1995; Basalt, CO; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club; Aspen/Snowmass Series)*
- Maddie Bowman (1/10/1994; South Lake Tahoe, CA; Sierra-at-Tahoe Education Foundation; South Tahoe Series)*
- Annalisa Drew (5/28/1993; Andover, MA; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; Southwest Colorado Series)*
- Devin Logan (2/17/1993; West Dover, VT; Mount Snow Academy; Southern Vermont Series)*
- Brita Sigourney (1/17/1990; Carmel, CA)*
2016 U.S. Freeskiing Slopestyle Pro Team
- Bobby Brown (6/5/1991; Breckenridge, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Joss Christensen (12/20/1991; Park City, UT; Park City Freestyle Ski Team)*
- Nick Goepper (3/14/1994; Lawrenceburg, IN)*
- Gus Kenworthy (10/1/1991; Telluride, CO; Southwest Colorado Series)*
- Chris Laker (6/23/1993; Cincinnati, OH)
- Tom Wallisch (7/22/1987; Pittsburgh, PA; University of Utah)
- McRae Williams (10/23/1990; Park City, UT)
- Ashley Battersby (1/27/1988; Park City, UT; The Winter Sports School in Park City)
- Keri Herman (8/16/1983; Breckenridge, CO; University of Denver)*
- Devin Logan (West Dover; VT, Mount Snow Academy; Southern Vermont Series)*
- Maggie Voisin (12/14/1998; Whitefish, MT; Team Park City United; Big Mountain West Series)*
- Emilia Wint (6/21/1994; Denver, CO; Hawks Freeride; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Julia Krass (6/7/1997; Hanover, NH; Team Park City United; New Hampshire Series)*
2016 U.S. Freeskiing Halfpipe Rookie Team
- Jacob Beebe (6/15/1999; Bend, OR; Sun Valley Education Foundation; Big Mountain West Series)
- Birk Irving (7/26/1999; Winter Park, CO; Winter Park Freeride Team; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Jaxin Hoerter (7/17/2000; Breckenridge, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Cameron Brodrick (2/6/1998; Mammoth Lakes, CA; Mammoth Mountain Freeski Team; Mammoth Unbound Series)
- Jake Mageau (11/25/1997; Bend, OR; MBSEF; Central Oregon Series)
- Jeanee Crane-Mauzy (6/5/1996; Park City, UT; Team Park City United; Big Mountain West Series)
- Abigail Hansen (5/26/1998; Mammoth Lakes, CA; Mammoth Mountain Freeski Team)
- Anna Gorham (7/22/2000; Bend OR; Central Oregon Series)
U.S. Freeskiing Slopestyle Rookie Team
- Willie Borm (5/21/1997; Chaska, MN; Midwest Freestyle Association)
- Alex Hackel (Sunday River, ME; Hanley Consulting Inc.)
- Andy Partridge (8/10/1996; Park City, UT; Team Park City United; Big Mountain West Series)
- Colby Stevenson (10/3/1997; Park City, UT; Team Park City United; Big Mountain West Series)
- Alex Hall (9/21/1998; Salt Lake City, UT; Big Mountain West Series)
- Eddie Gildea (7/3/1997; Weston, MA; Southern Vermont Series)
- Jess Breda (9/23/1995; Marshfield, MA; Waterville Valley BBTS)
- Darian Stevens (10/29/1996; Missoula, MT; Missoula Freestyle Ski Team)
- Caroline Claire (2/2/2000; Wilmington, VT; Southern Vermont Series)