PARK CITY, UT (Dec. 9, 2015) – The 2016 U.S. Snowboarding halfpipe, slopestyle, big air and snowboardcross teams, led by Olympians Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton, VT), Kelly Clark (West Dover, VT), Taylor Gold (Steamboat Springs, CO) and Chas Guldemond (Truckee, CA), have been officially announced. The pro team features a world-class roster of 33 internationally-ranked snowboarders, including 19 Olympians and three Olympic gold medalists.
Twenty rookie team and development athletes have been named, including Jake Pates (Eagle, CO), Chase Blackwell (Longmont, CO), Toby Miller (Truckee, CA) and 2015 Junior World Champion Madison Barrett (W. Chesterfield, NH). The halfpipe and slopestyle riders begin their competition season this week at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, CO Dec. 10-13 and the snowboardcross team is launching their season at the FIS World Cup in Montafon, Austria, Dec 11-13.
Seasoned Veterans: The U.S. Snowboarding Team named 33 athletes to its halfpipe, slopestyle and snowboardcross pro teams, including Olympic champions Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME), Kelly Clark (West Dover, VT) and Hannah Teter (Belmont, VT), and X Games gold medalists Nate Holland (Truckee, CA), Chloe Kim (Torrance, CA) and Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton, VT).
New to the Pro Team: Hailey Langland (San Clemente, CA) has moved up to the Pro Team after an impressive 2014-15 rookie season including a U.S. Grand Prix win. Elena Hight (Incline Village, NV) is back after a one-year hiatus.
Rookies: The 2016 halfpipe and slopestyle rookie teams boast an impressive roster, including athletes Jake Pates (Eagle, CO), Chase Blackwell ( Longmont, CO), Toby Miller (Truckee, CA) and 2015 Junior World Champion Madison Barrett (W. Chesterfield, NH).
Season Kickoff: Slopestyle and halfpipe teams start their contest season at the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, CO Dec 11-13 while the snowboardcross team is kicking off their season across the globe in Montafon, Austria Dec. 11-13.
Jeremy Forster, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Director
We have an amazing group of coaches and riders in each of the programs this year. Each team is coming off some great recent training: the slopestyle/big air team in Stubai, the halfpipe team in Copper, and the Snowboardcross team in Pitztal. Everyone is excited to kick off the competition season. With the addition of Big Air to the 2018 Olympics we're stoked to welcome Mike Ramirez from Mammoth Mountain Snowboard Team to the slopestyle/big air coaching staff.
Peter Foley, U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross Head Coach
We have a great mix of athletes on the team this year that really compliment each other well. We have seasoned veterans with an amazing history of results and we have young chargers that are bringing great energy to the team. The veterans have so much they can teach the younger crew and in turn the younger crew is pushing the veterans to continue to up their game.
The Team is looking great, we had an excellent camp in Argentina and now another great camp in Pitztal. Everyone is really excited to race next week in Montafon. We are really keying on three big events this season: the X Games, the Korea Olympic test event and everyone is excited to hit up Squaw Valley for the U.S. World Cup.
Rick Bower, U.S. Snowboarding Pro Halfpipe Coach
After a week of epic training in Copper our team is riding great and ready for our first event, the Breckenridge Dew Tour. We have a relatively young team with some experienced veterans in the mix with many different styles and approaches to snowboarding and we’re all excited for the season ahead.
Mike Ramirez, U.S. Snowboarding Pro Slopestyle and Big Air Coach
Our team is stacked and deep this year with some of the most successful snowboarders to strap in for the United States in Slopestyle helping to guide a host of new young talent ready to make a name for themselves. We are coming into this season feeling strong, coming off several great camps in Australia, Park City, Austria and Colorado. We are constantly pursuing the further development of the US Slopestyle team so we are not only one of the power houses as far as depth of riders, but we have the athletes to consistently contend for the podium as well.
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Team
Name (Birthdate; Hometown; Club; USASA Series)
* Denotes Olympian
2016 U.S Snowboarding Halfpipe Team
- Greg Bretz (12/19/1990; Mammoth Lakes, CA; Mammoth Charter School; The Unbound Series)*
- Ben Ferguson (1/21/1995; Bend, OR; Central Oregon Series)
- Taylor Gold (11/17/1993; Steamboat Springs, CO, Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Chase Josey (3/31/1995; Sun Valley, ID; Sun Valley Education Foundation; Big Mountain West Series)
- Matt Ladley (5/17/1991; Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Gabe Ferguson (4/16/1999; Bend, OR; Central Oregon Series)
- Kelly Clark (7/26/1983; West Dover, VT; Mount Snow Academy; Southern Vermont Series)*
- Arielle Gold (5/4/1996; Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Chloe Kim (4/23/2000; La Palma, CA; Mammoth Mountain Snowboard Team; The Unbound Series)
- Elena Hight (8/17/1989); Incline Village, NV; South Tahoe Series)*
- Hannah Teter (1/27/1987; Belmont, VT; Okemo Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series)*
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Team
- Nik Baden (1/13/1998; Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Eric Beauchemin (1/14/1991; Lake Winola, PA; Southern Vermont Series)
- Brandon Davis (Mammoth Lakes, CA; The Unbound Series)
- Chas Guldemond (4/22/1987; Truckee, CA; WVBBTS; New Hampshire Series)*
- Kyle Mack (7/6/1997; W Bloomfield,MI; Huck Finn/Great Lakes Snow Series)
- Ryan Stassel (10/23/1992; Anchorage, AK; Big Alaska Series)*
- Eric Willett (1/2/1988; Breckenridge, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Jessika Jenson (8/7/1991; Rigby, ID; Big Mountain West Series)*
- Ty Walker (3/3/1997; Stowe, VT; Mt. Mansfield Ski and Snowboard Club; Northern Vermont Series)*
- Karly Shorr (5/18/1994; Milford, MI; Great Lakes Series)*
- Hailey Langland (8/2/00; San Clemente, CA; Tahoe Select; Tahoe Series)
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross A Team
- Nick Baumgartner (12/1781; Iron River, MI)*
- Alex Deibold (5/18/86; Manchester Center, VT; Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series), *
- Nate Holland (11/8/78; Squaw Valley, ID)*
- Trevor Jacob (8/6/93; Golden City, CA; The Unbound Series)*
- Seth Wescott (6/28/76; Sugarloaf, ME; Carrabassett Valley Academy)*
- Faye Gulini (3/24/92; Salt Lake City, UT; Vail Ski and Snowboard Academy; Rocky Mountain Series)*
- Lindsey Jacobellis (8/19/85; Stratton Mountain, VT, Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series)*
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross B Team
- Jonathan Cheever (4/17/85; Saugus, MA; University of Massachusetts Lowell; Maine Mountain Series)
- Mick Dierdorff (5/12/91; Steamboat Springs, CO; Steamboat Spring Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Hagen Kearney (11/6/91; Telluride, CO; International Snowboard Training Center; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Jackie Hernandez (12/2/92; Londonderry, VT; International Snowboard Training Center; Southern Vermont Series) *
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Halfpipe Rookie Team
- Nathan Jacobson (3/29/1999; Bend, OR; Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation; Central Oregon Series)
- Toby Miller (2/14/2000; Truckee, CA; North Tahoe Series)
- Jake Pates (7/30/1998; Eagle, CO; Ride For Life; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Ryan Wachendorfer (2/3/1996; Edwards, CO; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Chase Blackwell (2/27/99; Longmont, CO; Jim Smith Club; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Zoe Kalapos (4/17/1997; Vail, CO; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Maddie Mastro (2/22/2000; Wrightwood, CA; Mammoth Snowboarding Team: The Unbound Series)
- Madison Barrett (4/1/98; W. Chesterfield, NH; Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series)
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Slopestyle Rookie Team
- Brett Moody (7/28/1995; Anchorage, AK; Kirk’s Camp; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Redmond Gerard (6/29/2000; Silverthorne, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Chandler Hunt (11/4/1994; Park City, UT; Park City Snowboard Team)
- Brock Crouch (8/22/1999; Mammoth, CA; The Unbound Series)
- Lyon Farrell (Paia: Haiku, HI; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Hailee Mattingley (1/11/1997; Park City, UT; Big Mountain Series)
- Kirra Kotsenburg (6/16/1996; Park City, UT; Big Mountain Series)
- Julia Marino (9/11/1997; Westport, CT; Southern Vermont Series)
2016 U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross Development Group
- Jarod Minghini ( 5/21/88; Snowshoe, WV; ISTC; South Tahoe Series)
- Mike Perle (1/21/94; Saddle River, NJ; ISTC)
- Meghan Tierney (1/15/97; Edwards, CO; ISTC; Rocky Mountain Series)
- Rosie Mancari (1/22/94; Anchorage, AK;, Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Big Alaska Series)
U.S Snowboarding Alpine Team
- Justin Reiter (Steamboat Springs, CO; Rocky Mountain Series)*