Wednesday April 16, 2014

Last update09:23:58 AM PST

Notice
  • Warning: Your site is not using System - MooTools Upgrade (or compatible) plug-in. Many features, including the BBCode editor, may be broken.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Figuring some of it out
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Figuring some of it out

Figuring some of it out 3 years ago #775

• SBM
  • Fresh Boarder
First year with my kid competing.
He did well in his Region - Qualified for all 5 events.
By points Ranked in the top 5 Nationally for a few events.
Going to Nationals.

So here's my question at the Menehune level what would a top 5 finish mean?
Or a finish 6-10?
Or a finish 11+?

I would assume that a finish in the top 5 of some event suggests it makes sense to continue to progress in the sport. But what about a finish outside the top 5, or even outside the top 10. In that case does it really make sense to keep going back to Nationals each year (assuming he still might qualify in his Region)?

I'm glad my kid competes. I'm glad he enjoys it. I'm glad he has done fairly well at the Region Level. But going to Nationals is an entirely different thing. Happy to do it this year so he can have the experience -- I'm sure it will be fun. But I want to make sure he has realistic goals and expectations.

Thanks for any feedback.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Figuring some of it out 3 years ago #777

• fitz
  • Fresh Boarder
Nationals will open your eyes. There are a lot of talented kids out there. The Nationals experience is a lot of fun. Even competitors who finish dead last have a great time. You will meet like minded snowboarders from all over the country. Don't worry about goals and expectations. Nationals will keep your son really excited about snowboarding.

Re: Figuring some of it out 3 years ago #781

• jrorvig
  • Fresh Boarder
It is not likely that he will be a champion in every single event, but don't discount the value of a well rounded snowboard competition experience. Each discipline has transferable skills to the other disciplines...

Re: Figuring some of it out 3 years ago #796

• SBM
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not really worried about whether my kid will have a great time. He always has a great time ride, competing or not. I'm sure he'll have a fabulous time riding in Colorado. And I'm sure looking forward to skiing at Copper.

And I'm sure he'll get to ride with / against some amazingly talented riders.

But he's missing school, and it's a kind of expensive vacation for him that his 2 brothers and sister don't get to come on.

So to be more blunt (but hopefully not offensive): If a kid isn't competitive in the top 10 -- what's the point of coming to Nationals. Maybe competing locally and riding during school breaks is fun enough.

Re: Figuring some of it out 3 years ago #823

• sdenter
  • Fresh Boarder
Results are really meaningless until you are into the youth ,unless you have that gifted kid who smokes by everyone ,kids change as you know so if you are not going for the friendships or to see how your kid stacks up against the better kids or just a family vacation then until he/she is in the youth division and has a chance at the revolution tour or other venue you are wasting money .We have a skier and boarder and now have to alternate who can go as 2 weeks out of school is unrealistic .On a plus note it is a good family vacation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.14 seconds
You are here: Forum